Dolphin died from 'cocktail' of heavy metals in PNG
Quoting Radio New Zealand – 6 November 2019
“Samples taken from a dolphin that washed up dead on Papua New Guinea's Rai Coast have revealed very high concentrations of heavy metals.
“The samples were taken by a team led by Swiss scientist Alex Mojon, who was hired by the Madang Provincial government after a slurry spill from the Ramu nickel mine in August.
“The samples were analysed at a laboratory in Germany, NBC News PNG reports.
“The results show concentrations of nickel, zinc, manganese, mercury, copper, chrome and chromium above allowable levels.
“Dr Mojon said it was clear the dolphin died from being poisoned by a "cocktail" of heavy metals.
“Samples sent to Germany also revealed the presence of heavy metals in food crops in gardens within the vicinity of the mine.
“More samples will be collected next week.”
Copyright @ 2019, Radio New Zealand.