Tragic deaths after eating ‘Balloon Fish,’

Tragic deaths after eating ‘Balloon Fish,’

Posted by : frank short Posted on : 17-Jun-2021

The Solomon Star newspaper today reported that two members of a family at New Takwa village, Kolombangara Island in the Western province died after eating a poisonous fish, locally known as ‘Balloon Fish’ or Tetraodontidae as its scientific name.

The two deceased, a woman and a child died just a few minutes after eating the poisonous fish.

According to a report from a relative, both victims and eight others were rushed for medical attention at the Ringi Clinic after the incident. 

It was believed that the victims were eating parts of the fish that contained a very highly toxic and poisonous meat that can be harmful to a person after eating it.

Source: Solomon Star News.


It seems such a tragedy that the two deaths occurred after eating ‘Baloon Fish’ which is easily identifiable and I would have thought it common practice for local people to have grown up with the knowledge that that particular species of fish was highly dangerous.

The Solomon Star paper this morning illustrated what I assumed were dangerous species of fish to be avoided, including ‘Balloon fish’ and it might be a wise move to have communities given illustrations or photographs of dangerous fish in order to prevent another tragic incident occurring in the future.

I extend my condolences to the family, friends, including school friends of the deceased child, and to the community of New Takwa village.

Almost all pufferfish contain tetrodotoxin, a substance that makes them foul tasting and often lethal to fish. To humans, tetrodotoxin is deadly, up to 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide. There is enough toxin in one pufferfish to kill 30 adult humans, and there is no known antidote.

Yours sincerely

Frank Short

Quick Enquiry